Subject: inetd + in.ftpd debugging question
From: "Bruce P. Osler" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: "Bruce Osler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 16:00:24 -0400

I'm currently attempting to debug network boot (via ftp) of a
networking device for which I'm responsible.  The devices ftp
client is based on a horribly antiquated vxworks kernel.  The
cygwin I'm using has been recently updated and includes
inetutils release (1.3.2)

The issue isn't one of complete breakdown.  Unfortunately for
my sanity, the vast majority of the files being accessed during
this boot process are handled correctly.  Out of nearly 500 files (mostly 
text) there are a short list of files which cannot appear
to be retrieved.  Taking a look at the network exchange between
the device and my PC everything appears to be normal.  The
transaction starts normally, exchanges username/password normally,
the device performs a "successful" CWD and follows that with a RETR
of an existing file.  When the RETR fails, I see a delay (from the
cygwin ftpd side) of about 200ms.  After the delay, I see an ACK
from cygwin and then silence.  After about ten seconds the device
fires out a FIN and moves on.  The cygwin behavior is baffling.

So, I've been trying to debug the innards of the cygwin ftpd,
but haven't had much luck.  The man page for ftpd references
"-d" and "-l" debug options, but when I add these to the
inetd.conf file as:

ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/in.ftpd in.ftpd -d -l -l

I don't see anything interesting or new added to the event log.

Can anybody perhaps throw a hint over the fence to me about how
I might go about debugging this issue?

- Bruce

PC running NT 4.0 ServicePack 6a

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/