Subject: Re: how do I know which system to choose when running setup?
From: Ed <[email-masked]>
To: "Zieg, Mark" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "'Ed'" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: 01 Oct 2002 08:17:47 -0600

>>>>> "Z" == Zieg, Mark <[email-masked]> writes:

    Z> (1) The point of having multiple mirrors is so that everyone
    Z> won't hit the same server, thus slowing it down.  If we all
    Z> said "use THIS one, it's the best"...then everyone would shift
    Z> to it, and it would shortly be the worst.

    Z> (2) What's "fast for me" won't necessarily be "fast for you",
    Z> because we're probably on different networks, in different
    Z> parts of the country, etc.

Yes, I understand that.

But that still doesn't help me decide which one to pick.

For example, download accelerator (free windows app) will try and find
multiple locations for a download, and then will test each connection
to see which is fast and which is slow.

Since cygwin setup doesn't seem to let me switch between sites
(without setup losing all knowledge of what is already downloaded), I
can't even check to see if one site is better than another.

How do I know that I didn't pick the slowest, farthest away site in NA
for my cygwin downloads?

Ed

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/