Subject: Re: [Proposal] Moving user mount information to HKLM
From: Robert Collins <[email-masked]>
To: Charles Krug <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: 27 Sep 2002 23:32:55 +1000

On Fri, 2002-09-27 at 23:15, Charles Krug wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 09:38:21PM -0700, Doru Carastan wrote:
> > How about breaking free from using the windoze registry.  There is
> > absolutely no special need to use it IMO.
> 
> I'll second that.  Relying on a single monolithic binary file for system
> critical information is an extraordinarily bad idea.

So, you'll be glad then that windows doesn't do that :].

The design of windows itself is really something for alt.os.advocacy.
Cygwin uses the registry for various settings, and will almost certainly
keep using it. There is some potential work going that *may* reduce
registry use, but not because of reliability problems. See the -dev
archives for more info.

On the user mount in HKLM idea, it's a no-goer. Normal users don't have
write access to most of HKLM, on any partly-secure install of NT (which
is where the original posters issue arose). Secondly, there is a much
more straightforward solution for the poster:

use something like
mount $USERPROFILE$CYGHOME /home/$USER

then /home/$user will work correctly for pwd.

Rob
-- 
---
GPG key available at: http://users.bigpond.net.au/robertc/keys.txt.
---