Subject: limit for # of items created with "new" ?
From: "Hans Horn" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 10:09:59 -0700

List,

I am experiencing a problem when I need to allocate a large number of small
objects with new. (cygwin 1.3.12.4, gcc 3.2). Up to about 160 000 objects
I'm doing fine, but above the process receives a sigterm and croaks.

On occasion, even the entire bash shell becomes corrupt and needs to be shut
down.
When this happens, the bash shell complains :

*** mount version mismatch detected - 0xA820/0x1B.
You have multiple copies of cygwin1.dll on your system.
Search for cygwin1.dll using the Windows Start->Find/Search facility
and delete all but the most recent version.  The most recent version
*should*
reside in x:\cygwin\bin, where 'x' is the drive on which you have
installed the cygwin distribution.

Is there a maximum numbers of "new-allocatable" objects? If yes, is this
number configurable?

thx a lot,
Hans

P.s. Btw, I'm running Win2k with 512 MByte memory. When I watch the process
die in task manager, the total memory load is at about 450 MByte.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/