Subject: Re: How to install packages...
From: Soren A <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 10:17:10 +0000 (UTC)

A revised Cygwin home page (reflecting the change I suggested):
http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/

--------------8<---------------------------------------------------
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

<HTML>
  <HEAD>
    <META name="generator" content=
    "HTML Tidy for Cygwin (vers 1st June 2002), see www.w3.org">

    <TITLE>Cygwin</TITLE>
    <LINK rel="icon" href="http://cygwin.com/cygwin-icon.gif" type="image/gif">
<STYLE type="text/css">
 body {
  background-color: white;
  color: black;
 }
 :link { color: #0000EE }
 :visited { color: #551A8B }
 :active { color: red }
 p.c8 {color: white; font-size: 80%}
 table.c7 {padding:2%; border:none;}
 .c6 {font-size: 80%}
 p.c5 {font-size: 80%}
 #focus { color: #ffffff; background-color: slategray; }
 table.c4 {float:right; margin-left:3.3ex; margin-right:5; border:1px ridge;}
 span.c3 {font-size: 80%}
 span.c2 {font-size: 64%}
 div.c1 {text-align: center}
 div.contactinfo {margin-left: 28pt; margin-right: 32pt; }
</STYLE>
  </HEAD>

  <BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF" TEXT="#000000">
    <MAP name="topbar">
      <AREA shape="rect" coords="0,0,47,41" href="http://www.redhat.com/">
      <AREA shape="rect" coords="61,0,135,29" href="http://www.gnu.org/">
      <AREA shape="rect" coords="164,0,275,29" href="http://www.redhat.com/">
      <AREA shape="rect" coords="102,29,240,55" href="http://www.microsoft.com/">
      <AREA shape="rect" coords="300,0,580,70" href="http://cygwin.com/">
    </MAP> 

    <DIV class="c1">
      <A name="top"><IMG src="http://cygwin.com/cygwin.jpg" width="600" height="70"
      border="0" usemap="#topbar" alt=""></A>
    </DIV>
<!-- ================================================================== -->
<!--                                                                    -->
<!--                         Left Sidebar                               -->
<!--                                                                    -->

<table align=left border=1 cellspacing=0 cellpadding=8 width="20%" bgcolor="eeeeee">
<tr><td bgcolor="eeeeee" valign=top>

<table border=0 cellspacing=0 cellpadding=3 width="100%">

<tr><td colspan=2><a href="http://cygwin.com/">Cygwin Home</a></td></tr>
<tr><td colspan=2><a href="http://www.redhat.com/software/cygwin/">Red Hat Cygwin 
Product</a>

<tr><td colspan=2><a href="http://cygwin.com/lists.html">Mailing Lists</a></td></tr>
<tr><td colspan=2><a href="http://cygwin.com/docs.html">Documentation</a></td></tr>
<tr><td><font size=-1><li><a href="http://cygwin.com/faq/">FAQ (Frequently Asked 
Questions)</a></li></font></td></tr>
<tr><td><font size=-1><li><a 
href="http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/cygwin-ug-net.html">User's 
Guide</a></li></font></td></tr>
<tr><td><font size=-1><li><a href="http://cygwin.com/cygwin-api/cygwin-api.html">API 
Reference</a></li></font></td></tr>

<tr><td colspan=2><a href="http://cygwin.com/contrib.html">Contributing</a></td></tr>
<tr><td><font size=-1><li><a 
href="http://cygwin.com/snapshots/">Snapshots</a></li></font></td></tr>
<tr><td><font size=-1><li><a href="http://cygwin.com/cvs.html">Source in 
CVS</a></li></font></td></tr>
<tr><td><font size=-1><li><a href="http://cygwin.com/bugs.html">Bug 
Reporting</a></li></font></td></tr>
<tr><td><font size=-1><li><a href="http://cygwin.com//cgi-bin/cygwin-todo.cgi">Cygwin DLL 
To-Do List</a></li></font></td></tr>
<tr><td><font size=-1><li><a href="http://cygwin.com/setup.html">Cygwin 
Packages</a></li></font></td></tr>

<tr><td colspan=2><a href="http://cygwin.com/ported.html">Software</a></td></tr>
<tr><td><font size=-1><li><a href="http://cygwin.com/packages/">Setup Package 
Search</a></li></font></td></tr>
<tr><td><font size=-1><li><a 
href="http://cygwin.com/xfree/">XFree86</a></li></font></td></tr>
<tr><td><font size=-1><li><a href="http://cygwin.com/links.html">Related 
Sites</a></li></font></td></tr>

<tr><td colspan=2>General Info</td></tr>
<tr><td><font size=-1><li><a href="http://cygwin.com/who.html">Who are 
we?</a></li></font></td></tr>
<tr><td><font size=-1><li><a href="http://cygwin.com/mirrors.html">Mirror 
Sites</a></li></font></td></tr>
<tr><td><font size=-1><li><a href="http://cygwin.com/licensing.html">Licensing 
Terms</a></li></font></td></tr>

<tr><td colspan=2><a href="http://cygwin.com/news.html">News</a></td></tr>

<tr><td colspan=2><a href="http://sources.redhat.com/">sources.redhat.com</a></td></tr>

</table>
</td></tr></table>
<!--            End Left Sidebar                                        -->

    <TABLE>
      <TR>
        <TD>
          <TABLE align="right" border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="4">
            <TR>
			  <TD align="center" bgcolor="#eeeeee"><A href="setup.exe"
		  onmouseover="window.status='Cygwin setup.exe package installation manager'; 
return true"
          onmouseout="window.status=''; return true"><IMG src="cygwin-icon.gif"
		  border="0" width="28" height="28"
		  title="Use the setup.exe tool to initially install and to change or update 
your Cygwin installation on an ongoing basis."
          alt="Get setup.exe">
              <BR>
              <SPAN class="c2">Install<BR>Cygwin<BR><B>now</B></SPAN></A></TD>
            </TR>
          </TABLE>

          <DIV class="c1">
            <TABLE width="85%">
              <TR>
                <TD align="left">
                  <DIV class="c1">
                    <H3>What Is Cygwin?</H3>
                  </DIV>
                  Cygwin is a UNIX environment, developed by Red Hat, for Windows.
                  It consists of two parts: 

                  <UL class="noindent">
                    <LI>A DLL (cygwin1.dll) which acts as a UNIX emulation layer
                    providing substantial UNIX API functionality.</LI>

                    <LI>A collection of tools, ported from UNIX, which provide
                    UNIX/Linux look and feel.</LI>
                  </UL>

                  <P>The Cygwin DLL works with all non-beta, non &quot;release
                  candidate&quot;, ix86 versions of Windows since Windows 95, with
                  the exception of Windows CE.</P>

                  <P><A href="#bottom">Contact, web page, other
                  info...</A>&nbsp;&nbsp; <A href="faq/faq_1.html">Historical
                  cygwin info...</A></P>
                </TD>
              </TR>
            </TABLE>
          </DIV>
          <HR noshade size="1">

		  <TABLE id="focus">
      <TR>
		<TH VALIGN=center>
		  <TABLE align="right" bgcolor="#eeeeee" border="1"
		   cellspacing="0" cellpadding="4" CLASS="c4">
            <TR>
			  <TD align="center"><A href="setup.exe"
		  onmouseover="window.status='Cygwin setup.exe package installation manager'; 
return true"
		  onmouseout="window.status=''; return true"><IMG ID=ico 
src="cygwin-icon.gif"
		      border="0" width="28" height="28"
			  title="Use the setup.exe tool to initially install and to change or 
update your Cygwin installation on an ongoing basis."
              alt="Get setup.exe">
			  <BR><SPAN class="c2">Install<BR><B>now</B></SPAN></A></TD>
            </TR>
          </TABLE>
		  <P class="c5">Use the <TT>setup.exe</TT> tool both to initially install 
Cygwin
		  and later to change your Cygwin configuration: add and remove packages, 
check
		  for package updates.</P>
     </TH>

              <TD width="10%" align="center">or</TD>

              <TD class="c6"><A href="download.html">read about</A> additional
              <BR>
              package download options.</TD>

              <TD width="10%" align="center">or</TD>

              <TD class="c6"><A href="packages/">find</A> a package or file in the
              cygwin release.</TD>
            </TR>

            <TR>
              <TD height="4" colspan="5">&nbsp;</TD>
            </TR>

            <TR align="center">
              <TD colspan="5">
                <P>Latest Cygwin DLL release version is
                <STRONG>1.3.12-2</STRONG></P>
              </TD>
            </TR>
          </TABLE>
          <HR noshade size="1">

          <TABLE align="right" border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="4">
            <TR>
			  <TD align="center" bgcolor="#EEEEEE"><A href="setup.exe"
		  onmouseover="window.status='Cygwin setup.exe package installation manager'; 
return true"
		  onmouseout="window.status=''; return true"><IMG src="cygwin-icon.gif"
		  border="0" width="28" height="28"
		  title="Use the setup.exe tool to initially install and to change or update 
your Cygwin installation on an ongoing basis."
          alt="Get setup.exe">
              <BR>
              <SPAN class="c2">Install<BR>Cygwin<BR><B>now</B></SPAN></A></TD>
            </TR>
          </TABLE>

          <DIV class="c1">
            <TABLE width="85%">
              <TR>
                <TD align="left">
                  <DIV class="c1">
                    <H3>What&#39;s New and How Do I Get it?</H3>
                  </DIV>
                  The latest net releases of the Cygwin DLL are numbered
                  <EM>1.1.x</EM> or <EM>1.3.x</EM>. <EM>1.n.x</EM> versions of the
                  Cygwin DLL are newer than previous beta Bxx (i.e. <EM>B19</EM>,
                  <EM>B20</EM>, <EM>B20.1</EM>) versions. The last commercial
                  release was <EM>v1.0</EM> which was <STRONG>only</STRONG>
                  released on CD-ROM and is no longer available. Red Hat has no
                  current plans to release a new commercial CD. The Red Hat GNUpro
                  release version is currently 1.2.x and is available only with <A
                  href="http://www.redhat.com/software/tools/cygwin/">Red Hat
                  support contracts</A>. 

                  <P>The last <EM>Bxx</EM> release was in December 1998. The
                  <EM>Bxx</EM> releases are no longer available. In fact, older
                  versions of the DLL or utilities are not usually available on
                  this web site. Any cygwin program built from December 1998 onward
                  should work correctly with newer DLLs.</P>

                  <P>Note that the <EM>1.n.x</EM> version numbering refers only to
                  the Cygwin DLL. Individual packages like <EM>bash</EM>,
                  <EM>gcc</EM>, <EM>less</EM>, etc. are released independently of
                  the DLL. The <TT>setup.exe</TT> utility, which is downloaded when
                  you click on the <A href="setup.exe">above link</A>, tracks the
                  versions of all installed components and provides the mechanism
                  for <STRONG>installing</STRONG> or <STRONG>updating</STRONG>
                  everything.</P>

                  <P>Note also that, by default, <TT>setup.exe</TT> <STRONG>does
                  not install everything</STRONG>. Only the <EM>base</EM> cygwin
                  distribution is installed by default. When running
                  <TT>setup.exe</TT>, clicking on categories and packages in the
                  <EM>package installation</EM> screen will provide you with the
                  ability to control what is installed or updated. For instance,
                  clicking on the &quot;Default&quot; field next to the
                  &quot;All&quot; category will provide you with the opportunity to
                  install every Cygwin package. Be advised that this will download
                  and install hundreds of megabytes to your computer. The best plan
                  is probably to click on individual categories and install either
                  entire categories or packages from the categories themselves.</P>
                </TD>
              </TR>
            </TABLE>
          </DIV>
          <HR noshade size="1">

          <TABLE border="0" cellspacing="6" cellpadding="0">
            <TR>
              <TD valign="top" width="58%">
                <DIV class="c1">
                  <STRONG>News</STRONG>
                </DIV>

                <P><A href=
                "http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2002-07/msg00008.html"><STRONG>
                New Cygwin DLL 1.3.12-2 release</STRONG></A>
                <BR>
                 <SMALL><EM>Jul 8 2002, <A href=
                "mailto:[email-masked]">Christopher Faylor</A></EM></SMALL></P>

                <P><A href=
                "http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2002-07/msg00002.html">
                <STRONG>New Cygwin DLL 1.3.12 release</STRONG></A>
                <BR>
                 <SMALL><EM>Jul 3 2002, <A href=
                "mailto:[email-masked]">Christopher Faylor</A></EM></SMALL></P>

                <P><A href=
                "http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2002-06/msg00012.html">
                <STRONG>New Cygwin DLL 1.3.11 release</STRONG></A>
                <BR>
                 <SMALL><EM>Jun 23 2002, <A href=
                "mailto:[email-masked]">Christopher Faylor</A></EM></SMALL></P>

                <P><A href="http://gmane.org"><STRONG><EM>Unofficial</EM> Off-site
                Cygwin News Server</STRONG></A>
                <BR>
                 <SMALL><EM>Mar 2 2002, <A href=
                "mailto:[email-masked]">Daniel Adams</A></EM></SMALL></P>

                <P><A href=
                "http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2002/msg00063.html"><STRONG>New
                Cygwin DLL 1.3.10 release</STRONG></A>
                <BR>
                 <SMALL><EM>Feb 27 2002, <A href=
                "mailto:[email-masked]">Christopher Faylor</A></EM></SMALL></P>

                <P><A href=
                "http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2002/msg00030.html"><STRONG>
                New Cygwin DLL 1.3.9 release</STRONG></A>
                <BR>
                 <SMALL><EM>Jan 21 2002, <A href=
                "mailto:[email-masked]">Christopher Faylor</A></EM></SMALL></P>

                <P><A href=
                "http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2002/msg00026.html"><STRONG>
                New Cygwin DLL 1.3.8 release</STRONG></A>
                <BR>
                 <SMALL><EM>Jan 20 2002, <A href=
                "mailto:[email-masked]">Christopher Faylor</A></EM></SMALL></P>

                <P><A href=
                "http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2002/msg00023.html"><STRONG>
                New Cygwin DLL 1.3.7 release</STRONG></A>
                <BR>
                 <SMALL><EM>Jan 19 2002, <A href=
                "mailto:[email-masked]">Christopher Faylor</A></EM></SMALL></P>

                <P><A href=
                "http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2001/msg00169.html"><STRONG>New
                Cygwin DLL 1.3.6 release</STRONG></A>
                <BR>
                 <SMALL><EM>Dec 2 2001, <A href=
                "mailto:[email-masked]">Christopher Faylor</A></EM></SMALL></P>

                <P><A href=
                "http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2001/msg00140.html"><STRONG>New
                Cygwin DLL 1.3.5 release</STRONG></A>
                <BR>
                 <SMALL><EM>Nov 11 2001, <A href=
                "mailto:[email-masked]">Christopher Faylor</A></EM></SMALL></P>

                <DIV class="c1">
                  <A href="news.html">more news</A>
                  <BR>
                  <A href="post-article.html">post new news</A>
                </DIV>
              </TD>

              <TD bgcolor="#000000" width="1"><IMG src="black-dot.gif" width="1"
              height="1" alt=""></TD>

              <TD valign="top">
                <DIV class="c1">
                  <STRONG>Software</STRONG>
                </DIV>

                <P><A href=
                "http://www.sanface.com/archive/txt2pdf.tar.gz"><STRONG>txt2pdf
                6.0</STRONG></A>
                <BR>
                <SMALL><BR>
                Major release with Japanese support. <EM>Sep 2 2002, <A href=
                "mailto:[email-masked]">SANFACE Software</A></EM></SMALL></P>

                <P><A href="http://ircd-hybrid.com/"><STRONG>Hybrid 7rc1
                IRCD</STRONG></A>
                <BR>
                 <SMALL><EM>Jul 29 2002, <A href="mailto:[email-masked]">Zeke
                Gomez</A></EM></SMALL></P>

                <P><A href="http://www.shaolinsecureftp.com"><STRONG>Shaolin Secure
                FTP v0.98 Beta 3</STRONG></A>
                <BR>
                 <SMALL><EM>Jul 4 2002, <A href="mailto:[email-masked]">Joseph
                S. Testa II</A></EM></SMALL></P>

                <P><A href=
                "http://www.gnu.org/directory/recode.html"><STRONG>Recode -
                character set conversion</STRONG></A>
                <BR>
                 <SMALL><EM>Jun 25 2002, <A href=
                "mailto:[email-masked]">Francois
                Pinard</A></EM></SMALL></P>

                <P><A href=
                "ftp://ftp.imagemagick.org/pub/ImageMagick/binaries/"><STRONG>ImageMagick
                5.4.6</STRONG></A>
                <BR>
                 <SMALL><EM>Jun 18 2002, <A href=
                "mailto:[email-masked]">Bob
                Friesenhahn</A></EM></SMALL></P>

                <P><A href="http://www.singular.uni-kl.de/"><STRONG>Singular - A
                Computer Algebra System for Polynomial Computations</STRONG></A>
                <BR>
                 <SMALL><EM>May 28 2002, <A href=
                "mailto:[email-masked]">Viktor Levandovskyy
                (Singular Team)</A></EM></SMALL></P>

                <P><A href=
                
"http://mservice.sdf-eu.org/SocksCleaner-0.4/sockscleaner-0.4-cygwin.tar.gz">
                <STRONG>IRC Socks Scanner Sockscleaner 0.4</STRONG></A>
                <BR>
                 <SMALL><EM>May 21 2002, <A href=
                "mailto:[email-masked]">Diego Duarte</A></EM></SMALL></P>

                <P><A href=
                "http://batousai.sdf-eu.org/gmp-4.0.1/gmp-4.0.1-cygwin.tar.gz"><STRONG>
                The Gnu GMP 4.0.1</STRONG></A>
                <BR>
                 <SMALL><EM>May 21 2002, <A href=
                "mailto:[email-masked]">Diego Duarte</A></EM></SMALL></P>

                <P><A href=
                "http://mservice.sdf-eu.org/Hybrid-6.3/hybrid-6.3-cygwin-stable.tar.gz">
                <STRONG>Hybrid 6.3 IRCD</STRONG></A>
                <BR>
                 <SMALL><EM>May 21 2002, <A href=
                "mailto:[email-masked]">Diego Duarte</A></EM></SMALL></P>

                <P><A href=
                "http://batousai.sdf-eu.org/mICQ-0.4.8-pl5/mICQ-0.4.8.pl5-cygwin.tar.gz">
                <STRONG>micq 0.4.8</STRONG></A>
                <BR>
                 <SMALL><EM>May 19 2002, <A href=
                "mailto:[email-masked]">Diego Duarte</A></EM></SMALL></P>

                <DIV class="c1">
                  <A href="ported.html">more software</A>
                  <BR>
                  <A href="post-article.html">announce new software</A>
				  </DIV>
			   </TD>
            </TR>
          </TABLE>
		<HR noshade size="1"></TD>
      </TR>
    </TABLE>
    <DIV CLASS=contactinfo>
          <H3><A name="bottom">Contact, web page, other info...</A></H3>

          <P><EM>For Cygwin licensing or commercial support, please visit the <A
          href="http://www.redhat.com/software/tools/cygwin/">Red Hat Cygwin
          Product</A> site.</EM></P>

          <P><EM>For <STRONG>all</STRONG> other questions and observations, please
          check the resources available at this site, such as the <A href=
          "http://cygwin.com/">FAQ</A>, the <A href=
          "http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/cygwin-ug-net/cygwin-ug-net.html">User&#39;s
          Guide</A> and the <A href="http://cygwin.com/lists.html">mailing list
          archives</A>. If you&#39;ve exhausted these resources then please send
          email to an <A href="http://cygwin.com/lists.html"><STRONG>appropriate
          mailing list</STRONG></A> . This includes observations about web pages,
          setup questions, questions about where to find things, questions about
          why things are done a certain way, questions about the color preferences
          of Cygwin developers, questions about the meaning of the number 42,
          etc.</EM></P>

          <P>Please send notification of technical problems (bad html, broken
          links) concerning these web pages to <A href=
          "http://cygwin.com/lists.html#cygwin">the cygwin mailing list</A>.</P>

          <P>Please <STRONG>do not</STRONG> send personal email with &quot;quick
          questions&quot; to individual cygwin developers. The cygwin mailing lists
          are the places for all questions. Really. I mean it.</P>

          <P>Not responsible for errors in content, meaning, tact, or judgement.
          Live and let live. Toes go in first. Enjoy. Copyright © 2000, 2001,2002
          Red Hat, Inc.</P>

          <P class="c8"><EM>DO NOT SEND EMAIL TO THIS ADDRESS <A href=
          "mailto:[email-masked]" color=
          "white"></A>[email-masked] IT IS HERE ONLY TO COLLECT SPAM.
          IF YOU SEND EMAIL TO THIS ADDRESS YOU WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY
		  BLOCKED.</EM></P>
	</DIV>
  </BODY>
</HTML>

--------------8<---------------------------------------------------

  Soren A

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/