Subject: Re: Curious behavior of CYGSERVER
From: "David A. Cobb" <[email-masked]>
To: Robert Collins <[email-masked]>, Cygwin Discussion <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 14:02:09 -0400

Robert Collins wrote:

>On Sun, 2002-09-15 at 11:43, David A. Cobb wrote:
>  
>
>>I discussed above (http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-09/msg00302.html) my
>>problems attempting to do a bootstrap of gcc-3.2.   One experiment
>>involved firing up CYGSERVER.  As mentioned in the previous thread, the
>>program went much much much further this way -- make check took about 13
>>hours!
>>
>>In the process, I notice two unexpected behaviors.  The CYGSERVER emits
>>dots (.) on the screen every little while - perhaps it emits one
>>everytime it gets called.  This isn't bad -- it makes a handy pulse to
>>be sure the machine hasn't just frozen up.  Three screenshots are
>>attached fro the make  check run.
>>    
>>
>
>Thats what it is, simply some feedback. When cygserver starts to provide
>significant functionality, that may get removed. Or at least that was my
>plan before I handed it over to Conrad.
>

As I said, it's kinda nice when running something that just sits and 
computes for 13 hours without feedback.  It would be nicer, however, if 
it were switchable!
*And really nice if there were at least a 
/usr/doc/cygwin/cygserver.readme*  Nothing fancy, just tell what we 
should expect and what to be wary of.

> 
>  
>
>>What is really bad is that somehow, having CYGSERVER involved defeats
>>the stdout redirection.  For example, the make check not only ran for 13
>>hours, but it also gave me very little clue as to its success or failure.
>>    
>>
>
>That is very unexpected. The HEAD code for cygserver supported normal
>and tty operation without any regressions from having cygserver not
>running, when I merged it.
>
>Are you sure that that is the cause?
>
I'm very glad Nicholas confirmed it!  My "proof" is simply two totally 
different behaviors depending only on the status of CYGSERVER.  Things 
as complex as configure and make are really nasty to debug!

>
>Rob
>  
>

-- 
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace I am a Christian man, by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim; R. M. French, tr.
Life is too short to tolerate crappy software.
.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/