Subject: Re: (setup.ini) autoconf requires Perl?
From: "Patrick J. LoPresti" <[email-masked]>
To: Nicholas Wourms <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: 13 Sep 2002 11:52:04 -0400

Nicholas Wourms <[email-masked]> writes:

> Your best bet is to move the Cygwin perl.exe to a new directory which
> isn't in PATH.  Then you can make a wrapper script called "perl",
> which resides in bin, that parses the arguments passed to it.  I
> haven't used ActiveState myself, but I'm sure there are consistant
> differences between the two.

Nothing you could easily detect by a heuristic, I am afraid.  The
biggest difference is probably that ActiveState does not know about
Cygwin paths (and Cygwin does not supply the Win32 module (?)).  So
"/foo" has meaning to each; it just means something different...

Heuristics are often a poor design.  The author of the Perl code knows
which version she wants; she should have a way to specify it.

"perl" vs. "perl.exe" is not a perfect solution, but it is at least as
good as any of the others I have seen.

 - Pat

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/