Subject: Re: Beginnings of a patch: /etc/hosts
From: Joe Buehler <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 11:48:52 -0400

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> I agree with this, especially in this case.  If a user casually changes
> an environment variable to something "nonstandard" then they shouldn't
> be surprised by the behavior of our tools.  This is different from
> prompting them for OS and letting the user lie if they want to.  In
> that case, I'd agree that they should be able to do this.

Environment variables are the source of a lot of trouble, and I avoid
them as much as possible.  What a great idea -- global variables in your
program that any user can change -- regardless of whether he knows he
did it, or what the effect might be!

Joe Buehler

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/