Subject: Re: Tab completion of exes - what am I doing wrong?
From: Jason Tishler <[email-masked]>
To: Jason Dufair <[email-masked]>
Cc: Cygwin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 13:08:03 -0400

Jason,

Please keep your replies on-list.

On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 11:46:36AM -0500, Jason Dufair wrote:
> Wow.  Thanks.

You are welcome.

> Why does that happen?

See below...

> Did I cause these files to be 700 somehow,

No.

> or is this by design?

Yes, but by Microsoft's design not Cygwin's.

> Just wondering.  Many thanks

My WAG is that your permissions for /bin are something like the
following:

    $ ls -ld /bin
    drwx------    3 Administ None       212992 Sep  5 13:07 /bin

Am I correct?  If so, then when setup.exe creates a file under /bin,
Windows is causing it to inherit its parent directory's permissions.

BTW, I helped someone on [email-masked] with a different
symptom but the same root cause.

Jason

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/