Subject: Problem with rsh
From: Andrew DeFaria <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 13:47:20 -0700

I've run into a major problem using rsh. Note that I've been using rsh 
successfully for a while and many people here depend on being able to 
rsh into the server. However now I get:

$ rsh server id
server.mydomain.com: Permission denied.

If, however, I stop inetd as a service and run it instead at the command 
line with inetd -d then it works fine. Note that "rsh server" also works 
in that it is essentially an rlogin however we need the ability to rsh 
with a command.

What changed? Why is this suddenly broken? Note that the server is 
runing Cygwin 1.3.9 and has been for quite some time without a problem.

Also, on my system running Cygwin 1.3.12-4 I also cannot rsh into my own 
machine.

$ rsh adefaria id
adefaria.mydomain.com: Login incorrect.

Note the different error message. Again, running inetd -d from the 
command line works OK. I think that perhaps this might have something to 
do outside of Cygwin like maybe that my ~/.rhosts file is not able to be 
read correctly due to some change in Windows permissions on the share 
where my home directory exists. If this is the case what/how do I check 
this?

Thanks in advance.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/