Subject: Re: Expectations for Windows Programmers
From: Shankar Unni <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 18:08:15 -0700
Newsgroups: gmane.os.cygwin

[email-masked] wrote:
> I am not a C programmer, but it sounds like I should be able to use gcc and
> dlltool to build a Wintel DLL.
> 
> It is unclear from reading the Cygwin User's Guide if I will actually be
> able to link this DLL with other programming languages outside the Cygwin
> environment.

It is theoretically possible, though you will have to thoroughly 
understand the toolchain and DLL mechanisms.

You can build a cygwin-independent object file by compiling with 
-mno-cygwin. You may need the "mingw" package to get windows headers for 
  this.

Once you do this, you should be able to build a regular windows DLL, and 
even generate .LIB export stubs for this DLL. However, I must confess 
that I don't have references and man pages handy. Much of this 
"knowledge" comes from when I ported the toolchain to an experimental 
platform that is now defunct.

--
Shankar.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/