Subject: Re: Problems with GNU make.exe on win98 (reformatted)
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 22:51:14 -0400

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 01:33:40PM -0500, [email-masked] wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Heres the environment:
>Win 98, cygwin-b20, make 3.75, DOS shell

You should definitely update your cygwin version and make sure
that you select the "Devel" part of the install so that you
can include a new version of make (and gcc, probably).

>Whenever I try to run make in a DOS shell, I get several
>"Bad command or file name" errors. I discovered that I was
>getting this error only for commands that are also part of
>the standard DOS (command.com) library. This does not appear
>to be a path problem since all non-DOS commands work fine.
>Also, I am able to run the same DOS command outside of make.
>
>Scenario:
>If I place a "mkdir xxx" in the the makefile and run make, 
>I get the mentioned error. However, I can run that same
>command at the DOS prompt, and it works fine. If I go to the
>cygwin bin directory, rename mkdir.exe to mkdir_test.exe, 
>then adjust the makefile to contain "mkdir_test xxx", 
>everything will work.

"mkdir" is a cygwin command (.exe file) and a "DOS" built-in
command.  It sounds like you don't have the mkdir program in
your PATH which would indicate that you don't have the cygwin
"/bin" directory in your path.  Or, maybe that's not how B20
did things.  I don't remember anymore.  It's almost four years
old.

>is it possible that make.exe is not looking outside the
>DOS command shell for commands that are part of the standard
>DOS library? But, it works for all other commands that are
>in the PATH?

>I have tried setting my PATH so that the cygwin/bin
>directory is first, this does not help.

Is there a "mkdir.exe" in the cygwin/bin directory?  If not,
that's your problem.  You shouldn't be trying to run "DOS"
commands if you can help it.  However, if you really have
no choice but to do so, then something like:

foo: bar
	command /c mkdir foo

*may* work.  I don't recall if there are issues with running
the command shell from cygwin B20.

I would REALLY recommend updating to a later version.  Especially
if you want to get support here.  B20 is *old*.

cgf

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/