Subject: Re: DoD Security Clearance for cygwin? (OT)
From: Shankar Unni <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 11:06:29 -0700
Newsgroups: gmane.os.cygwin

Graeme Merrall wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 11:06:14AM -0500, Keen Wayne A Contr AFRL/MNGG wrote:
> 
>>Cygwin is not used (at least in this office and lab) in an environment in
>>which its security (or lack thereof) is an issue.
>>
>>Thats about all I can say and be secure.

> As a non-US, non-military exposed individual I love this security stuff.

As an aside to an OT aside, the question is important. If you have a 
host OS that has, say, a B1 certification (which I doubt Windows has, 
even disconnected from the Net :-), you don't want to run a system or 
application on it that could theoretically allow you to bypass those 
access checks (say, due to a bug in the authentication and authorization 
code).

I wonder if anyone is sufficiently motivated to perform such a thorough 
security review of the entire Cygwin platform.
--
Shankar.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/