Subject: Re: Odd permissions problem
From: Andrew DeFaria <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 10:20:57 -0700
Newsgroups: gmane.os.cygwin

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 11:33:59AM -0700, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>
>> This one has me stumped. Occasionally I get "permission denied" type
>> problems when rsh'ing to a machine and creating or updating a file I
>> would think I should be able to create or update. I don't understand why
>> this happens. So I was playing around trying to categorize it:
>>
>> $ pwd
>> /home/adefaria
>> $ touch foo
>> $ ls -l foo
>> -rw-rw-r-- 1 adefaria Domain U 0 Aug 19 10:47 foo
>> $ rm foo
>>
>> OK, I can touch and create files. Note /home/defaria is actually on a
>> server (i.e. I've mounted //<server>/<share> to /home). However if I try
>> to do this through rsh
>>
>> $ rsh $(hostname) touch foo
>> touch: creating `foo': Permission denied
>>
>> it fails. Now I am myself:
>>
>> $ rsh $(hostname) "id && touch file"
>> uid=1370(adefaria) gid=513(Domain Users) groups=0(Everyone),512(Domain
>> Admins),513(Domain
>> Users),1170(Everybody),1382(ITSupport),1354(Operations),1331(Software)
>> touch: creating `foo': Permission denied
>>
>> Why is this?
>
>
> Does `rsh hostname ls' actually list the files in your home dir?

Yes:

$ rsh $(hostname) ls -l
total 19341
drwxrwxr-x    1 adefaria Domain U        0 Aug 15 07:52 Backup
drwxrwxr-x    1 adefaria Domain U    28672 Jul  2 08:33 Bin
drwxrwxr-x    1 adefaria Domain U        0 Jan 30  2002 Clearquest
drwxrwxr-x    1 adefaria Domain U        0 Mar  5 09:01 Configuration
dr-xr-xr-x    1 adefaria Domain U    12288 Aug 19 16:45 Documents
-rwxrwxr-x    1 Administ Domain U     1185 Jun 20 16:51 Files4bug.pm
-rwxrwxr-x    1 Administ Domain U     1249 May 23 16:29 Filter.pm
drwxrwxr-x    1 adefaria Domain U        0 Oct 11  2001 Folder Settings
drwxrwxr-x    1 adefaria Domain U        0 May  8 09:37 GNUstep
drwxrwxr-x    1 Administ Domain A        0 Jul 24 17:14 RESTORED
-rwxrwxr-x    1 Administ Domain A 19640124 Jul 25 13:06 Spiderman (WTC 
trailer).mpg
-rwxrwxr-x    1 Administ Domain U     1217 Aug  2 11:51 ViewTimings.txt
-rwxrwxr-x    1 Administ Domain U     5494 Mar  8 15:06 _viminfo
-rwxrwxr-x    1 Administ Domain U      703 Jun 17 14:55 bugline.cgi
drwxrwxr-x    1 adefaria Domain U        0 Dec 28  2001 build_test
-rwxrwxr-x    1 Administ Domain U     1388 May 29 14:55 checkcq
-rwxrwxr-x    1 adefaria Domain U     2420 May 15 17:30 cmplab.pl
-rwxrwxr-x    1 Administ Domain U     2757 Jun 21 09:34 cqc
-rwxrwxr-x    1 Administ Domain U     8484 Jun 25 15:29 cqd
-rwxrwxr-x    1 Administ Domain U      861 Jul 11 13:33 cqds.c
-rwxrwxr-x    1 Administ Domain U      852 Jul  5 17:42 cqds.c~
-rwxrwxr-x    1 adefaria Domain U    28908 Jul 11 13:33 cqds.exe
-rwxrwxr-x    1 Administ Domain U     1842 Jul  5 15:54 daemonize2.c
-rwxrwxr-x    1 adefaria Domain U      303 Oct 11  2001 desktop.ini
-rwxrwxr-x    1 Administ Domain U     1629 May 23 16:52 filterObj.pl
-rw-rw-r--    1 adefaria Domain U      180 Aug 19 08:44 foo.c
-rwxrwxr-x    1 Administ Domain U     7429 Apr  2 15:41 gdbtk.ini
-rwxrwxr-x    1 Administ Domain U     3080 Jun 25 15:43 getbug
-rwxrwxr-x    1 Administ Domain U     1543 Jun 14 13:34 hellod.pl
-rw-rw-r--    1 adefaria Domain U    22050 Aug 15 13:20 sf
-rwxrwxr-x    1 adefaria Domain U     2916 Jun 17 10:05 sigs.pl
-rwxrwxr-x    1 Administ Domain U     1537 Jun 11 11:29 sockclnt.pl
-rwxrwxr-x    1 Administ Domain U     1646 Jun 11 11:29 socksrv.pl
drwxrwxr-x    1 adefaria Domain U        0 Dec 28  2001 stress_build
drwxrwxr-x    1 adefaria Domain U        0 Aug  9 15:43 test
-rwxrwxr-x    1 Administ Domain U      820 Jun 26 14:50 test.pl
-rw-rw-r--    1 adefaria Domain U      280 May 16 16:37 test.sh
-rwxrwxr-x    1 Administ Domain U      266 Jun 17 14:06 test2.pl
drwxrwxrwx    1 adefaria Domain U        0 Aug 19 10:47 tmp
dr-xr-xr-x    1 Administ Domain A     8192 Jul 24 14:13 www

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/