Subject: Win XP -> Calling Windows apps from Cygwin -> Arguments Chopped
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 15:37:20 -0600

I recently got upgraded to XP and threw on Cygwin to this XP machine.

When I attempt to run any windows executable or Batch file, the arguments
are not carried across, that is the program is launched successfully, but
with No arguments.  The same install and same options from the same
Directory on an NT 4 Server (current fixpack) does however work.

The output from uname -a on the XP (non-working) system follows:
CYGWIN_NT-5.1 STC0011105 1.3.12(0.54/3/2) 2002-07-06 02:16 i686 unknown

The output from uname -a on the WinNT (working) system follows:
CYGWIN_NT-4.0 REGN1N93NT 1.3.12(0.54/3/2) 2002-07-06 02:16 i686 unknown

The test case I am using here is one .bat file: t.bat   Please find its one
line pasted below:
echo "Args are:" %*

The output from Windows XP follows:
STC0011105 : /s> ./t.bat 1 2 3

s:\>echo "Args are:"
"Args are:"

The output from Windows NT follows:
REGN1N93NT : /cygdrive/s> ./t.bat 1 2 3

s:\>echo "Args are:"  1 2 3
"Args are:"  1 2 3

Has anyone else got this to work (is it an anomoly in my build of Windows
XP).  If not, is there some kind of trace option I can set that might be of
any help to anyone for finding a solution?

Some notes:

Problem exists with Cygwin1.dll of versions 1.3.12 and 1.3.4 , but thats
all I have to test with at this time.

The problem is also not restricted to .bat files, but appears to happen in
any non-cygwin application launched from a shell.

Problem occurs whether I simply launch cygwin from the Supplied icon, or
launch a shell (bash or sh) from a Windows command prompt.

Cheers
Eric Aksomitis

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/