Subject: From the GPL FAQ (was "standalone cygwin programs that use "/tmp" don't work")
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: "John R. McPherson" <[email-masked]>, Corinna Vinschen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 14:47:17 -0400

On Sat, Aug 17, 2002 at 12:47:50PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>Let me restate it: You can't rely on the fact that the source code is
>"freely available".  As I mentioned, that won't be the case for long
>with cygwin 1.3.10.

For everyone who is concerned by my insistence that people adhere to the
GPL by making sources available for download, I'd like to direct your
attention here:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#TOCSourceAndBinaryOnDifferentSites

RMS referred me to this site after I asked him for some kind of
definitive statement on the issue so that I don't have to keep fighting
the same battle over and over again.  Of course, I should have realized
that I was in no way unique and that there was already a FAQ for this.

I want to definitively state that I have no intention of providing a
backup system for people who want to point at sources.redhat.com (aka
cygwin.com) as a location to retrieve sources for the binaries that they
are making available.  If you are releasing binaries of any GPLed
software you *must* make the sources available via the same mechanism.
You cannot rely on me to keep the sources for your release binaries
around.

I'd suggest giving the whole FAQ a read, it clears up a lot of these
issues.

cgf

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/