Subject: Re: can CYGWIN have a different IP address to Windows?
From: "Lassi A. Tuura" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 10:38:43 +0200

> Obviously I can't run both web servers on the same port on the same IP.
> Bruce came up with an interesting idea of giving the laptop 2 IPs and then
> specify the two different IPs respectively in the two different webservers.

This is just a thought off the top of my head: try installing the MS
loopback network device.  Maybe you can then tell one of the servers to
serve from that one (assuming they can be told to bind to a special
address).  I forget the details but I think you can give the loopback
one of the IP addresses reserved for local use.

Note: MS has drivers for some sort of a special network device that just
loops the connections back to the computer itself; the loop back has an
UNC name of itself.  This is not the 127.0.0.1 loopback address.  I
don't know the specifics, I just installed it to install OpenAFS.  I
think it somehow makes the computer look like a server onto itself.

I don't have access to my W2K box right now, but you can search on
google for "openafs loopback windows" and pick the first article that
comes by (from openafs.org).

//lat
-- 
Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become
a man of value.  --Albert Einstein

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/