Subject: Re: setup overwriting ?experimental? installed packages
From: "Dylan Cuthbert" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 11:27:10 +0900
Newsgroups: gmane.os.cygwin

Hey Robert, for some reason, all your messages (and only yours) appear as
attachments in Outlook Express, and you know what mum says about opening
attachments from strangers.

However, I did open your attachment and don't seem to be infected with
anything, and here are my comments:

On Sat, 2002-08-10 at 04:25, Jon LaBadie wrote:

> Currently you don't. We don't have a heuristic that will consistently
> *do the right thing*.

> ie: How does setup know that a current release with a version number
> greater than an installed experimental release should *not* replace it?

I don't think he's complaining about this - the current release should be
installed in that case.  The problem is, for example, we install gcc 3.1.1
from the exp. listing, then we run setup again and install the latest
"current" releases and gcc 3.1.1 gets overwritten by gcc 2.95-3 (or whatever
it is).  Its also something that's been bothering me, and I've had to
re-install numerous exp. packages because of it.

I am always checking the partial listings, but it is a painstaking process
(and prone to mistakes) when there are a lot of updates - just remembering
which exp. packages you installed so you can click them to "keep"  is
difficult.

Regards

---------------------------------
Q-Games, Dylan Cuthbert.
http://www.q-games.com
P2P internet radio - http://www.peercast.org

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/