Subject: Cygwin crashes XP Pro
From: Thomas Dewez <[email-masked]>
To: cygwin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 14:52:41 +0100

Hi there,

I am totally baffled by this problem and would appreciate any help. I have
been experiencing constant crashes of XP Pro on a laptop Compaq Presario
2700 (intel 1GHz) running Cygwin 1.3.12-4.

The most noticeable symptom of an imminent crash is the fan speeding up. The
crash produces a Blue Screen of Death with error 0x96 or error 0xA (writing
operation). I have checked the Microsoft knowledge base to troubleshoot but
none of the explanations proved relevant (as far as I could see).

I can use cygwin for a long time if I am not asking it to perform a CPU
intensive task. However as soon as the task becomes too CPU intensive, the
fan starts speeding up and will eventually crash. The time between the fan
speeding up and a crash is variable and can last a few hours if the CPU
demand slows down.

I observed another symptom with the Task Manager. The "System" process takes
over 90% of the CPU power when the fan starts speeding up. I tried compiling
GRASS GIS yesterday and whilst XP crashed after a while of executing the
make command and outputing the result on the screen, it remained perfectly
intact if I directed the output to a log file. Is this a sign of a poor
interaction between XP and Cygwin? It looks as though the memory cannot be
released and the system dies when the memory is filled up (I have 512Mb of
RAM and 1350Mb of page file).

Any hint would be most appreciated

Thomas

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/