Subject: Re: setup and unix
From: Robert Collins <[email-masked]>
To: bruno patin <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: 08 Aug 2002 11:12:32 +1000

On Wed, 2002-08-07 at 06:34, bruno patin wrote:
> hi,
> 
> We work on a project that have to run and be distributed under 
> windows/cygwin and different flavors of unix (for the time being, 
> solaris and linux). We do want to have the same tool to distribute our 
> project over these platforms and try to use free approach so I come to 
> my subject. has port of the setup code been made on unices ? I try to 
> use the source on my linux box but, if the configure do it ok, the 
> compilation halt on the getopt.c file. So have something been done ?
> 
> Another question, is there a non interactive mode of setup (one you can 
> use on the command line) ?
> 
> thanks for your work

Setup is (and will likely remain) purely targeted at win32. The package
file format it uses is loosely based on existing package approachs, with
embedded scripts to assist in managing the environment. Setup will at
some point be compatible with (hopefully both) rpm and dpkg.

IMO your best bet at this point is to use dpkg or rpm (whichever you are
most comfortable with) for unix flavours, and generate a 'trivial'
binary tarball by hooking into the dpkg or rpm process. 

As for a command line setup, it's partly, but not completely there.

Rob
(Setup maintainer)