Subject: BUG - Cygwin to GNU CC compatibility
From: "Arash Partow" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 23:47:03 +1000

Hi all,

I've found a certain combination of simple code that is totally compatible
with unix/linux GNU compilers and runs perfectly on those OSs however
even though it compiles fine using Cygwin g++, causes the program to crash
under windows when executed.

The demo program is a simple counter example written in C++, no fancy
code, or special coding tricks have been used. The only libs used are:
stdio, stdlib and iostream.

The error occurs on a particular malloc, as state before the program runs
fine on all unix based systems and I was able to compile it with Borland C++
Builder 6.0 and the produced executable ran fine on windows.

I've tried running the cygwin produced executable on Win95,98,2K,XP,NT
and on all these OSs the program will crash.

I'm using the latest version of cygwin compiler system as of the 2nd of Aug.
I have no idea on how to go around fixing a patch for this cause i'm not
sure
where to begin, there are a number of places for which such an error like
this
can occur, I think it maybe something to do with the Cygwin DLL.

I have uploaded the sourcode, makefile, executable  and a copy of my cygwin
checkout, the url is:
http://www.froggy.com.au/arash/cygwin/cygwin_bug.zip

to make the application type:
make all

to run the application type:
countertest

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas to fix this BUG can you please e-mail
me
ASAP, any other help on how to avoid this bug until someone can come up with
a patch would be very much appreciated.

Arash

PS: The malloc in question can be found on line 114 of DigitList.cpp

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/