Subject: configure gcc compiler problem
From: Thomas Dewez <[email-masked]>
To: cygwin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 16:37:48 +0100

Hi all,

I have encountered a problem for which I cannot find a suitable answer
in the archives. I am trying to compile GRASS5.0.0pre5 from its source
code and get the following response:

[tdewez@PINNACLES ...grass5sources/grass5.0.0pre5]$ ./configure
checking host system type... i686-pc-cygwin
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler =
cannot create executables.

I found somewhere it was possibly related to a path issue. Being not
fully familiar with Unix I a little confused as to where things should
be. In the home directory I typed the following:

---------snip--------------------------
$ which gcc
/usr/bin/gcc
$ echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin/tcsh:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/GMT3.4/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
:/usr/l
ocal/grass5/bin:/usr/src/netcdf-3.5.0/bin:/ImageMagick:/cygdrive:/gs/gs7.04/
bin:
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/WINDOWS/system32:/WINDOWS:/WINDOWS/System32/Wb
em:/
Program Files/Common Files/Adaptec
Shared/System:/PROGRA~1/ULTRAE~1:/usr/X11R6/bin
-------snap-------------------------------

/usr/bin is obviously in the path so something different must be occuring.

The config.log contains the following:
---------snip--------------------------

This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.

configure:680: checking host system type
configure:703: checking for gcc
configure:807: checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works
configure:823: gcc -o conftest    conftest.c  1>&5
configure: failed program was:

#line 818 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

main(){return(0);}
---------snap--------------------------

This means very little to me, could anyone help with this? By the way, I
work mostly with tcsh and cannot find a .cshrc file in my home
directory. Where is the path hiding?

Thanks

Thomas

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/