Subject: Re: thread about Directory names containing spaces and GDB
From: "John Vincent" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 10:37:08 +0000

Hi,

I'm glad you read my previous message.

As I recall, your problem was that gdb was failing with a certain
program, compiled using gcc.

Let me recap:
The program itself starts when run directly from the command line.
The program does not start when run from inside gdb.

If this is correct, then there is a problem to diagnose, before
it can be fixed. (I'm going slowly here so there is no
misunderstanding, please don't feel patronised or insulted)

The diagnosis can only take place where you are, since that's
where the problem is.

So, I'd like you to try the following, and report back what happens:

1. try copying the executable to a directory with no spaces in the
path, and then try gdb to see if this makes a difference.

2. try copying the source to a directory with no spaces in the
path, then recompile so the executable has no spaces on it's path,
and then try gdb to see if this makes a difference.

3. try changing the HOME and USERNAME environment variables to values
without spaces, then retry step 2 above. You can set them on the
command line before typing the compile command, you don't need to
change any configuration for this test. Make sure you set HOME to
be the name of an existing directory.

If the same problem remains after each step, I'd say that spaces
in the path were not the issue, and then another hypothesis will
need to be investigated.

Bye for now, and good luck.
/John Vincent.

_________________________________________________________________
Join the world’s largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail. 
http://www.hotmail.com

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/