Subject: Re: rebase and ME
From: Robert Collins <[email-masked]>
To: Nicholas Wourms <[email-masked]>
Cc: Jason Tishler <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: 01 Aug 2002 10:33:45 +1000

On Wed, 2002-07-31 at 23:43, Nicholas Wourms wrote:

> Jason
> 
> Then it appears that Rebase will never be part of setup until this
> issue is solved.  

Why? Detection of ME is not-that-hard.

> AFICT, the proper
> arguments are being passed, it just fails once they are sent to the
> dll.  

My first comment to Jason about rebasing was that we should implement it
via libbfd. I think the whole ME thing demonstrates that quite nicely.
:].

Anyway, just for kicks, I've done a little imagehlp.dll ME research - it
will likely overlap with what you've already done, but hey :}.

Some ms technotes. 
Q235662
Q190352 - interesting - suggests replacing imagehlp.dll in win98.
Q229819 - the windows installer installer replaces imagehlp.dll as well.
Q252829 - as does internet explorer

Q169275 - about using imagehlp.dll from NT 4.0 on 3.51: relevant section
instructs to copy imagehlp.dll to the application folder, not the
system32 folder, so your app finds the correct one.

You might consider looking at the MS DLL Help Tool (available via
msdn.microsoft.com, do an advanced search for imagehlp.dll) and see if
there are any notes on the version you have installed.

Also try installing the windows installer 2.0 and see if it's updated
imagehlp.dll helps.

Lastly, try using sysinternals debugview and related tools to see if any
low level errors occur from within imagehlp.dll.

IFF all that gives nothing, then I'd WAG that MS have removed rebasing
from the dll, leaving behind stubs.

Rob