Subject: Peculiar problem problem running NT program with cron
From: arnaud GAND <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 15:06:37 +0100

I found a very peculiar problem with an NT CAD program in CYGWIN 
environment. This program got two modes :
a graphical one (with GUI) and a terminal one (tty mode creating an NT 
console). The CAD program is made of several
 modules (several little programs) cummunicating with a file created in 
a working directory.

The CAD program "tty mode" works fine when running in CYGWIN environment 
and creates an NT
console for output. The same program doesn't work while running from 
CYGWIN cron.

I made some tests to compare CYGWIN cron with planning service NT 
regarding to my Bash script.
My tests are done with the local user Administrator of PC NT 4. Here are 
the tests made :

1) Cron works on my NT station ( I schedules many tasks per week)

2) The Bash script is run under CYGWIN Bash and creates a log file from 
CAD program : IT WORKS

3) The Bash script is run under CYGWIN Bash but Bash  is run first with 
a bat File from service Planning : IT WORKS

4) The Bash script is run as a task with CRON under CYGWIN : IT DOES NOT 
WORK, first module does not work

5) The Bash script was modified, I added theses two lines :
    export USERDOMAIN=AUTORITE NT
    export USERNAME=SYSTEM
    The first module works but as soon as the second module is runned, 
the CAD program stopped with errors

6) I noted same troubles when running the program with rlogin or rsh 
with CYGWIN. First module is running but the second one
not. The error message of CAD program point out problem with 
communication file (unable to open in READ mode).

Is there anything regarding the NT console and CYGWIN standard 
ouput/input in cron process.

What is the difference between CYGWIN cron and Planning regarding to NT 
privileges of users. With Planning, it is the user SYSTEM
who runs CYGWIN environment but with cron it is the user Administrator.

Thanks for helping

-- 

Arnaud GAND
SETI Ingénierie Conseil - Le DORAT
tel 05 55 60 65 59
fax 05 55 60 67 02

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/