Subject: whereis whereis?
From: "Mike Maxwell" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 12:03:26 -0400
Newsgroups: gmane.os.cygwin

Back in the '80s (before some of you were born?), I used a Sun version of
unix.  I now have Cygwin installed on my Windows PC (no flames), and I can't
find a utility that I used a lot: whereis.  It exists on the Sun sitting
next to my PC, so I know I'm not just being senile.

'apropos' doesn't return anything for 'whereis' or 'where'.  I did a Package
Search at the Cygwin website for 'whereis', and it only shows up in the
Z-Shell.  I'm not using Z-Shell, and if I'm interpreting things correctly,
it's a built-in under that shell.  I'm using bash, so that wouldn't help.
Nor does the FAQ seem to have anything.

I guess I could implement 'whereis' using 'find' in a shell script, but when
I tried running 'find / -name foobar' on the command line just now, it was
excruciatingly slow.  (By comparison, a search beginning at the root of the
Cygwin dir using a Windows utility finished in well under a second.)

Surely 'whereis' hasn't just gone away??  Or is there a recommended
replacement?

--
     Mike Maxwell
     Linguistic Data Consortium
     [email-masked]

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/