Subject: Cygwin installation CD
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 21:34:20 +0100

For anybody interested I just made a successful Cygwin installation CD (I'm
sure others have too -- I'm just passing on potentially useful ): based on
today's provision it consists of setup.exe + setup.ini + /release/ where
/release/ contains all 554 files mentioned as [prev] curr or [test] in
setup.ini, including all *src* files mentioned there.

Notes:

(i) setup.* + /release/ are located not in e:/ but in e:/Cyg0/ (could be any
name, I imagine) because I found that locating them in the top directory e:/
leads with probability 1 to system hang near the start of any attempted
installation;

(ii) on my machine, clicking once on the "All Default" decision rotator
induced a 21-second pause before it altered to "All Install" to achieve a
complete installation of everything;

(iii) although they are available I selected no source files and in addition
I de-selected the only one offered by default (setup*src*): I find that if
they are included, the consequent installation is interrupted by multiple
minor error messages arising from problematic locations of files;

(iv) by the way, this is on W98/SE + all users + Unix.

I do not understand the occurrence of (i) or (ii). I can think of any number
of contexts where the commands a:\setup.exe or e:\setup.exe initiate
successful installations. There is no discernible mechanical activity of any
kind anywhere on the system during the 21-second pause. Maybe I'm doing
something daft / failing to do something sensible but I really don't think
so.

Other than these minor infelicities* the installation works very well. I
meant to try it with the current snapshot setup.exe (I did, earlier: it
checked the md5sum's just fine but at that stage I was trying to make a CD
with setup.* + /release/ in the top directory so the thing failed on other
grounds) but forgot.

* well, once they've happened a few times. They are quite intimidating when
experienced for the first time.

Fergus

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/