Subject: Re: Sleepy Cat Berkeley DB no longer in binary distribution
From: Nicholas Wourms <[email-masked]>
To: Phil Smith <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 02:21:32 -0700 (PDT)

--- Phil Smith <[email-masked]> wrote:
> The db-2.7.7-4 Berkeley DB was provided in Cygwin 1.3.11-3 but removed
> from 
> 1.3.12.

That was a packaging error, which conflicted with the existing (and
working) berkeley db distribution.
 
> This is unfortunate, considering that search.h, hsearch() and related
> APIs 
> are unavailable via the db-2.7.7.4 package or the developer package...

The berkeley db does not provide search.h.  That is an optional extention
of the libc which is distributed with the system:

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xsh/search.h.html

Perhaps if you install "db2", "libdb2", & "libdb2-devel", you might have
better luck?  Then, as the API docs included in those packages explain, if
you want to access hsearch(), you should include <db.h>.

> Any suggestions, short of getting it from the cygwin-1.3.12-2-src
> package ?

Yes, before asking a question like this, take the time to research it!  A
search on google for hsearch() returned the following as the fifth result:

http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/api_c/hsearch.html

A "clued-in" person would see that what he/she needed was db.h.  Which
packages contains db.h?  Well that person would then search the packages
at:

http://cygwin.com/packages/

He/She would then, knowing that it is a header of the berkeley db, see
that the package he/she would need is:

libdb2-devel The Sleepycat Berkeley DB Library v2 - devel 

See, that wasn't so difficult, was it?

> Thanks

You're welcome!

Cheers,
Nicholas

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Health - Feel better, live better
http://health.yahoo.com

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/