Subject: Valid file-name characters
From: "David A. Cobb" <[email-masked]>
To: Cygwin Discussion <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 13:11:49 -0400

Back in May (where I'm still trying to catch up) there was a discussion 
starting at http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-05/msg01041.html 
concerning a colon in a filename -- valid in *nix, not in Windows.  

Also, we get repeated griping about the encoding of URI's in the local 
package cache.  

Would you consider a patch that translated filenames containing special 
characters: the Cygwin user would see "aux:" but Windows would see 
"aux%??" (I don't recall the encoding of colon)?

-- 
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace I am a Christian man, by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim; R. M. French, tr.
Life is too short to tolerate crappy software.
.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/