Subject: Re: insure++
From: Matt <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 09:17:12 -0700 (PDT)

(replying to the main list to avoid being off-topic)

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Joe Buehler wrote:

> Has anyone tried using insure++ or other memory debugging
> tool on Cygwin?

I have.

insure++ only supports VC++ 5.x and 6.x on win32. While you an manually
edit the compiler configurations, I was never able to get it to work. I've
let parasoft know I would like that functionality built in, but I don't
think they're moving forward on that. Howver, their C++ Test product does
support gcc on win32 now I think.

Purify can read COFF symbols, but I could never figure out how to actually
produce relocatable binaries using gcc/ld/binutils. That may not help,
Purify pretty much chokes on the executables altogether. I have also asked
Rational for this functionality several times over the past 3 years or so
while at different companies that bought Purify.

Something that did work prett effectively was PC-Lint from Gimpel software
(www.gimpel.com). It can detect a number of potential runtime faults with
it's source code analysis, as well as find fairly obscure bugs. I haven't
run this on the entire cygwin source base, only the installer a year or so
ago.

Of course, porting something like Valgrind to cygwin is a possibility:
http://devel-home.kde.org/~sewardj/ . It's the only free memory debugging
tool worth using that I know of.

--
http://www.clock.org/~matt

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/