Subject: Re: Permission denied on a windows share
From: Jehan <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 09:14:50 -0700
Newsgroups: gmane.os.cygwin

Robert Collins wrote:
> IIRC cygwin reports based on the NTFS permission, but actually tries before
> failing... but I suspect it's not consistent across the board on this.

ah..., I'm not sure I get it there. Are you saying that if NTFS says 
that one doesn't have access to a file, then cygwin will still try to 
access it and then return failure if the attempt didn't succeed? Am I 
understanding correctly?
If so, then why does cygwin fails on the attempt when Notepad succeed?

Or maybe you mean that most of the time there is an attempt, but for 
whatever reason, the "open(.., O_WRONLY)", or whatever "cp" and "cat" 
are using, doesn't try?

	Jehan

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/