Subject: Re: Permission denied on a windows share
From: Jehan <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 10:44:58 -0700
Newsgroups: gmane.os.cygwin

Randall R Schulz wrote:
> The reason is the mapping between Cygwin's Unix / POSIX permissions and 
> Windows is not reversible. Windows permissions are far more refined, so 
> it is inevitable that in at least one case (in reality, many cases), 
> there are multiple distinct Windows permissions that map to a single 
> Cygwin / Unix / POSIX file "mode."

And? I don't understand the point. All that tells me is that "ls -l" may 
not show the real permissions because Windows persmissions doesn't 
always map to Unix/POSIX. That's fine with me. That would be the 
explanation for an application failing when it checks explicitly for 
permissions. But I don't think "cat" and "cp" do any permissions 
checking, they fully rely on the underlying system for that.

What I don't understand is why cygwin doesn't rely on Windows. For what 
I know of ntsec, it sets the permissions/ownership of files. It also 
read them so "ls -l" show correct permissions (as much as possible 
knowing that not all Windows permissions map to Unix).
But once their are set, then Windows should be able to take care of 
denying/allowing access accordingly. Why would cygwin need to do more 
security checking than Windows does? Why would cygwin deny me write 
access to a file when I can do it with any other Windows application?

> Cygwin will "leave it to Windows" if you turn of "ntsec" and / or "ntea."

I know, it used to be that way. But then I don't see what file belong to 
who and what I am allowed to do.

	Jehan

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/