Subject: Re: Permission denied on a windows share
From: Jehan <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 21:44:28 -0700
Newsgroups: gmane.os.cygwin

Randall R Schulz wrote:
> One thing is certain, Cygwin cannot override Windows permissions. If you 
> can read (or write or remove, etc.) the file from a Cygwin application, 
> you can read (write, remove) it from a Windows native app. I'm not 
> certain the reverse is true, however.

Obviously it isn't since I can modify a file with Notepad but I can't 
modify the same file with Cygwin. The question is why. Cygwin seems to 
check if me (local user jehan) has write access to the file (the answer 
is no, a local user can't exists on a domain anyway, it's the other me 
(domain user jehan) that has write access). But why does cygwin check 
that, why doesn't it leave it to Windows to verify the permissions?

> Sorry to equivocate so, but since you seemed a little desperate, I 
> figured I'd try to help.

Not desperate. Frustrated more likely. You see, I'm jongling between a 
Unix box (where my account is) and Windows. So there are files I share 
between the two (like the .bashrc, .ssh and the like). And not being 
able to write to those files can be annoying.

	Jehan

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/