Subject: Permission denied on a windows share
From: Jehan <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 19:35:04 -0700
Newsgroups: gmane.os.cygwin

I already reported this problem but I didn't get any feedback. Now I've 
seen yet another weird behavior related to it.

First, let me recapitulate my initial problem:
I have two accounts on my windows domain. They both have the same 
username and same password. One account is local to my machine and is 
part of the administrators group. The other is a domain account with no 
particular privilege.
I always log in using the local account.
On our server, I have a home directory that I can access via a Windows 
share. I can do whatever I want on it without a complaint from Windows.
If I use cygwin without ntsec, everything is fine too.
If I used cygwin *with* ntsec, then I get a weird behavior. I can create 
files on my account ("touch foobar" works). But I can't write into any 
file ("cat > foobar" creates a file then gives a "permission denied" 
error ("ls foobar -l" shows file with a size of 0)).

Now, the new weird behavior is that I can *move* file into the account. 
"mv /tmp/foobar ." works. I get a file with some content in it. But "cp 
/tmp/foobar ." fails like "cat". Since /tmp is on my local drive while 
the current directory is on the share, I would have though that "mv" 
would work like a "cp /tmp/foobar . && rm -f /tmp/foobar". But obviously 
it doesn't.

So my question is: how come "mv" can write in a file when "cp" and "cat" 
can't?

	Jehan

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/