Subject: Re: Another failure to get telnet/inetd to work in 1.3.12
From: Andrew DeFaria <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 15:17:37 -0700
Newsgroups: gmane.os.cygwin

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 03:55:50PM -0700, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>
>> I know others have had problems with this but I think I understand 
>> how it's supposed to work fairly well and it has been working for me 
>> for quite some time. Recently it has broken.
>>
>> I cannot telnet into my own XP box with Cygwin 1.3.12. I have inetd 
>> set up properly, I have CYGWIN set to ntsec in my Windows System 
>> Environment. I have Cygwin's bin in my PATH in my Windows System 
>> Environment and I have rebooted to ensure that these changes have 
>> been made effective. Inetd starts as a service and all of this has 
>> worked before flawlessly. In fact, my Windows XP box at home works OK.
>>
>> When telnet is attempted when inetd is running as a service I get 
>> connection refused. I also get connection refused for rlogin, ftp, etc.
>
> Check your /etc/group. Does the gid given in your /etc/passwd file 
> have a valid entry in /etc/group?

Yes my /etc/passwd gid is represented in /etc/group:

adefaria:grep adefaria /etc/passwd
adefaria:*:1370:513:Andrew 
DeFaria,U-SALIRA\adefaria,S-1-5-21-1957994488-1035525444-725345543-1370:/home/adefaria:/bin/bash
adefaria:grep 513 /etc/group
Domain Users:S-1-5-21-1957994488-1035525444-725345543-513:513:
adefaria:

>> If I stop the inetd service and run inetd -d at a command line then 
>> everything works (with the curious exception that telnet does not 
>> prompt for a username but otherwise works).
>
> No user context switch. Everythings fine.

That's what I thought.

>> inetd : Win32 Process Id = 0xA1C : Cygwin Process Id = 0xA1C : ssh/tcp:
>> unknown service.
>
> You have an ssh entry in /etc/inetd.conf but not in your systems 
> services file.

Not really!

adefaria:grep ssh /dev/c/WINDOWS/system32/drivers/etc/Services
ssh                22/tcp                           #SSH Remote Login 
Protocol
ssh                22/udp                           #SSH Remote Login 
Protocol

As you can see I do have an ssh entry in my system's services file. But 
my question was about telnet (rlogin, ftp, etc). And the Event Viewer 
had errors for each service in /etc/inetd.conf. I just picked one 
(unfortunately I picked ssh - I should have grabbed the telnet one) to 
paste here. Note that I remapped the /cygdrive prefix to /dev.

Could it be that 1.3.12 is having some problem finding my system's 
services file? Again, this use to work just find until I updated to 
1.3.12. I have not changed the location of my system's services file nor 
my cygdrive prefix (it's been set to /dev since around 1.3.5 or so).

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/