Subject: Another failure to get telnet/inetd to work in 1.3.12
From: Andrew DeFaria <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Andrew DeFaria <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 15:55:50 -0700
Newsgroups: gmane.os.cygwin

I know others have had problems with this but I think I understand how 
it's supposed to work fairly well and it has been working for me for 
quite some time. Recently it has broken.

I cannot telnet into my own XP box with Cygwin 1.3.12. I have inetd set 
up properly, I have CYGWIN set to ntsec in my Windows System 
Environment. I have Cygwin's bin in my PATH in my Windows System 
Environment and I have rebooted to ensure that these changes have been 
made effective. Inetd starts as a service and all of this has worked 
before flawlessly. In fact, my Windows XP box at home works OK.

When telnet is attempted when inetd is running as a service I get 
connection refused. I also get connection refused for rlogin, ftp, etc.

If I stop the inetd service and run inetd -d at a command line then 
everything works (with the curious exception that telnet does not prompt 
for a username but otherwise works).

So then what's going on here? Why, when telnet/rlogin/ftp is stated from 
inetd that was fired up as a Windows service it fails but not when it's 
stated from the command line? The usual reason is that the system 
environment variables are not set, but mine are indeed set. Also, how 
would one debug this?

Ah ha. Here's something strange. In the Event Viewer each inetd service 
has an error like:

Event Type:    Error
Event Source:    inetd
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    0
Date:        7/11/2002
Time:        3:49:22 PM
User:        NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer:    ADEFARIA
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( inetd ) cannot be found. 
The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or 
message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be 
able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help 
and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: 
inetd : Win32 Process Id = 0xA1C : Cygwin Process Id = 0xA1C : ssh/tcp: 
unknown service.

Why doesn't inetd think that any of it's services are "known"?!?

Bonus points for anybody who can explain and help get rid of the "The 
description for Event ID ( 0 ) ins Source ( inetd )..." portion of such 
error messages.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/