Subject: Re: Ghostscript packaging for X11, non-X11 versions
From: Dario Alcocer <[email-masked]>
To: John Morrison <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2002 09:31:30 -0700

On Sun, Jul 07, 2002 at 06:08:46AM +0100, John Morrison wrote:
> > As a maintainer, I'd rather provide the user with the complete package.
> > If the original software includes documentation, then in my opinion
> > the package I produce won't be complete unless I include the original
> > documentation.
> 
> My only point is that you aren't producing *one* package.  If you were
> coding two classes you _would_ factor out common code into a seperate
> base class/included/hidden/internal/.../common entity.

Yes, good point.

> > In my opinion, distributing software without documentation is like
> > selling hardware without manuals.  Sure, you can *still* use it, but
> > it's really a pain to download the documentation if you'd like explore
> > additional features or configurations.
> 
> I object to the fact that you think I suggested that you dont 
> distribute the documentation - I *NEVER* suggested that you don't.

Yes, you're quite right, my mistake.  You did say put the documentation
in a separate package, not leave it out.

> Sometimes it's nice to be able to download the documentation without
> having to install the software then you can check it does x, y, z
> without having to clutter your harddrive.

That may be so, but what's more likely is that a casual new user will
only install the minimum required, and then ask simple questions that
would be answered by 5 minutes of reading the documentation.  I say this
because this scenario plays itself out constantly on this list :-)
Making the documentation not "optional" hopefully will prod them into
reading before demanding answers on the list ;-)

> At the end of the day - it was just a suggestion to *help* you
> factor out commonality.  Sorry you disliked it so.

That's OK, no need to say sorry, I really didn't dislike the suggestion
at all, I was just trying to explain my rationale.  I think I've got a
few more years before I become another BOFH :-) ...

Thanks for the input.

-- 
Dario Alcocer -- Sr. Software Developer, Helix Digital Inc.
[email-masked] -- http://www.helixdigital.com

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/