Subject: gcc 3.1 + gdb + cygwin = segmentation fault
From: "Dylan Cuthbert" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2002 12:40:16 +0900
Newsgroups: gmane.os.cygwin

Hi there,

For the past month or so I've been posting and browsing the gcc and gdb
newsgroups for other people with a similar problem or solutions to this
problem.  But to no avail, so my final attempt at getting a debugger to work
is directed here to the cygwin group.

Using Cygwin 1.3.9 or 1.3.10 with a hand-rolled version of the release gcc
3.1 and gdb 5.2, I get a segmentation fault (from gdb, not the program
itself) when stepping through any functions that access the cygwin
environment, (stdio for example).

ie. debugging the following program:

int main( int argc, char* argv[] )
{
    std::cout << "Hello World" << std::endl;
    return 0;
}

The debugger will seg-fault when stepping over (or into) the io line.  The
same problem occurs if changed to a printf.

Were any cygwin-specific changes required to gdb 5.1 for it to work with the
2.95 compiler?

Are the cygwin "steerers" thinking about incorporating gcc 3.0 or 3.1 into
their environment yet?  The C++ support is 2.95 is rather dated now and
lacking many features necessary for modern C++ program/design.
(meta-template programming etc).  The more people we get using 3.0/3.1 etc,
the faster these kinds of problems will begin to be solved.

Regards

---------------------------------
Q-Games, Dylan Cuthbert.
http://www.q-games.com

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/