Subject: Re: what is the future of the cygipc ?
From: Charles Wilson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 10:51:32 -0400
Newsgroups: gmane.os.cygwin

Zoltan Imets wrote:

> If I understood correctly there were plans that cygipc will be absorbed
> in the cygwin-package, 

Not exactly.  The cygdaemon will eventually gain the ability to handle 
IPC, at which point cygipc will become obsolete.  But, cygdaemon shares 
no code with cygipc -- so "absorbing cygipc into cygwin" is the wrong 
terminology.

cygdaemon will eventually obsolete cygipc. (Thus, "what is the future of 
CYGIPC?" It has no future.   "What is the future of IPC on cygwin?" 
cygdaemon IS the future)

> and I have seen attempts for that.
> What is the final decision on this matter ?

I will try to insure that cygipc is usable until cygdaemon is completely 
ready to "take over" as the official IPC component of cygwin.  I will 
continue to "maintain" it for a while thereafter, to allow an orderly 
transition to the new cygdaemon.  Then it will become an historical relic.

--Chuck

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/