Subject: Problem with home directory name with spaces
From: David Starks-Browning <[email-masked]>
To: Motivus <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 13:38:14 +0100

On Thursday 4 Jul 02, Motivus writes:
> Hi. My default installation of Cygwin 1.3.11-3 created
> my home directory on my W2K machine as
> 
> /home/FirstName MI LastName/

That's bad, lots of things will be broken, as you describe in your
message.

Did you read the FAQ entry:

	"My Windows logon name has a space in it, will this cause
	problems?"

This should provide all the help you need.  If it's still not clear
what to do, reply to this list, so I can amend the FAQ entry
accordingly.

As for what to do with the existing mis-named home directory, just use
Explorer to change the name of C:\cygwin\home\... (depending on where
you installed Cygwin) to whatever you have in /etc/profile and
/etc/passwd.  (Something without spaces, obviously.)

Regards,
David
(Cygwin FAQ maintainer)

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/