Subject: Re: problems with pthreads && c++ (suspect wait conditions)
From: Max Zaitsev <[email-masked]>
To: Thomas Pfaff <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 10:20:29 +0200

Hi Thomas,

thanks for a quick reply.

>  There has been some changes in the pthread code between 1.3.10 and 1.3.11.
>  Has you tried your program with 1.3.10 ?
>
I had 1.3.5 I guess, but it's gone now. Mutella used to crash there and even 
did not pass statics init in GDB. After I've updated to 1.3.11 it still 
crashes but I can reach a breakpoint in main() with GDB. 

Before I forget, I do not use exceptions in mutella at all.

>  I will try to run your app as soon as possible.
>
This describes how to crash the current CVS. The released 0.4 crashes as well, 
but I have not investigated it that well.

I can give you a quick intro and describe a way how to crash mutella-cvs. It 
is gnutella client, so once you start it it will try to create a connection 
to the gnutella-net. But you probably do not want it... Than in terminal 
prompt (it a terminal app) type 

set QuietMode 1
exit

and start it again. most likely mutella will hanf on exit, it is also a cygwin 
feature -- for whatever reason wait condition misses the wake-up call.

anyway, if you restart mutella after, it will not connect by itself. now we 
can type in the crash sequence:

set SharePath /any/non/empty/but/not/too/full/dir/on/your/system
scan
<crash>

file sharing implemented in a separate thread, which communicates by means of 
self-written event loop with the rest of the app. scan command issues the 
event when share path is not empty. in principle you may use any string 
there, but then you'll get error messages... anyways, as I see it on my w2k 
box, you may need to repeat scan command several times. (you dont have to 
repeat set...)

Thanks for your help,
Max

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/