Subject: Re: sshd
From: Bryan Zimmer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 10:06:41 -0500

Sorry for the lack of details.

I am using Win 2000 Professional. I installed Service Pack 2 last week.
/bin/bash (C:\Cygwin\bin\bash.exe) definitely exists and is executable. 
However, it shows up only with ls -l /bin/bash.exe and not just 
"/bin/bash", which surprised me. It's file permissions are 0777 
(-rwxrwxrwx). My Cygwin environment is set to the following:
"ntsec notitle strace=0x1 binmode glob".

My sshd is basically set up to accept hostbased or pubkey 
authentication. It has two keys, ssh_host_rsa_key, and 
ssh_host_dsa_key. It uses only protocol 2, never version 1. The public 
user keys are kept in %h/.ssh/authorized_keys2. Most of the "easy" sshd 
options are turned off. No RhostsRSAAuthentication, just RSA and DSA 
authentication. I had these options "Allow Users baz; Deny Users 
[A-Zac-z]*" which works in Linux, but I had to take it out for Cygwin. 
I also had to make sure the "Strict Modes" option was "no".

Until I did a partial reinstall I was always UID 544, GID 513, 
Administrators:None. For some reason I am now a regular user, user 
number 1000. I chowned the relevant files just in case but this seems 
to make no difference.

Very strange. Formerly I thought I knew something about both Cygwin and 
ssh.

Thanks for your response.

- --
Bryan A. Zimmer
[email-masked]

On Wednesday 03 July 2002 03:33 am, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 09:53:32PM -0500, Bryan Zimmer wrote:
> > Greetings all.
> >
> > I used to have an sshd that worked passably well. Now it is giving
> > me some strange messages, viz., "user baz is illegal because
> > /bin/bash is not an executable.
> >
> > In this case I can only log in remotely when I remove /bin/bash
> > from the /etc/passwd file. I find this strange behavior.
>
> What system, 9x or NT?  With or w/o ntsec?  What does ls -l
> /bin/bash.exe print?
>
> Corinna

- --
Bryan A. Zimmer
[email-masked]

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/