Subject: Re[3]: Setup.exe fails with a Microsoft Runtime Exception ..
From: Pavel Tsekov <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Harsha Kalidindi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 18:51:02 +0200

HK>>          Yes. It happens everytime when it tries to process the first package.

HK>>          The text in the exception message window is:

HK>>          'The instruction at "0x0040676e" referenced memory at 
HK>> "0x74657387". The memory could not be "read".'

PT> Ok - this 0x74657387 looks like part of an ASCII string, so it looks
PT> like some memory is being overwritten. I'll look into this later.

I know for sure where the crash occures but I need some more info
because I can't reproduce it on my machine and I can't understand the
why it happens:

1. Do you have a file which name starts with 'apache' in
/etc/setup/ - if yes please attach in your response.

2. Are you willing to run a setup.exe provided by me ? I'll include
some debugging messages so we can know what exactly happens.

For setup.exe developers:

 The crash is in compress_gz::destroy - the place where 'original' is
 deleted. I suppose this happens when the object used to read the /etc/setup/apache*.lst.gz
 is destroyed or something :) Are there any other places where
 compress_gz is used ? I don't recall other .gz files except those in
 /etc/setup.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/