Subject: Re: Progress? Still debugging [cgf or someone from cygwin list please comment]
From: Harold L Hunt <[email-masked]>
To: Keen Wayne A Contr AFRL/MNGG <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 10:50:28 EDT

Wayne,

[Please be careful to only reply to [email-masked], I am only sending
this to [email-masked] so that the Cygwin folks know what is going on.]

Non-xterm clients work fine.  xterm does not work.

The base problem here is that xterm calls getuid () to find out what the
current process's user id is.  Then it later calls setuid (), passing the same
value that was returned by getuid ().  For some reason, regardless of whether
you have run 'mkpasswd -d -u user_name >> /etc/passwd', the call to setuid ()
fails with Permission Denied.

This is not something that the Cygwin/XFree86 folks changed, rather it was
something that was changed in Cygwin proper (think cygwin1.dll).  From our
perspective, and probably from the perspective of the Cygwin developers,
cygwin1.dll is broken when Cygwin/XFree86 doesn't work right.

Thus, I'm going to guess that the Cygwin folks are working on this and that
you need to start testing the latest cygwin1.dll snapshots to help them, and
us, figure out when the problem is fixed.  I've got a machine now that has the
same problem so I will be testing snapshots as well, once a compile job finishes.

Here is some information on installing a snapshot release of cygwin1.dll:
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2002-06/msg00383.html

Until further notice, consider your bug acknowledged and in a state of being
repared.  Feel free to post your results with the latest snapshot to
[email-masked], but don't expect any further information until the
problem is fixed.

Harold

Keen Wayne A Contr AFRL/MNGG <[email-masked]> said:

> OK, I changed strategy a little bit. I started working down the startx path.
> I moved the .xinitrc to my home and ran
> startx from the bash prompt.  It then complained of no .XAuthority file.  I
> googled a bit, and found a reference to
> an empty file being OK.  So I created one.  This led to some progress, the
> window comes up, with the clock even, 
> but when I click on anything it bombs back out with a message about fatal IO
> error 113.
> 
> startxwin.bat is still behaving the same...
> 
> Wayne
> 

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/