Subject: Feature Req. for "Setup" - Sortin by columns, and download dir "cleaning".
From: "Javier" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 08:17:32 +0200
Newsgroups: gmane.os.cygwin

Hi!

First of all, thanks for a great job on a great product! :) Cygwin is...
_great_.

I'm a happy user since quite a looong time ago, and it's been getting better
by days. BUT there is a little thing that's still "nagging" me about the
setup program, a little inconsistency that would make it far more usable
(IMHO).

The thing is, would it be possible to make the program to sort the list of
packages (when in "package selection tool) when clickin on the colum title?
Specifically, it'd be lovely to be able to sort by the "New" column on the
"Full" listing. In that way, you'd be able to see what new packages have
appeared on one go (by having all the "Keep" and "Skip" packages together).
At the same time, that is a more standard windows behaviour for this kind of
control.... Sorting in the "Category" column would be nice, too.

Also, and that I think that's "even more" important, there should be a way
to "clean" the Cygwin downloads directory of old versions of the packages
installed and/or of the packages that have been deprecated.

I know that with the latest cygwin Setup releases, the downloads dir. format
has changed somewhat (ie, quite a lot; now I have a "zilllion" directories
with lovely names such as
ftp%3a%2f%2fftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de%2fpub%2fMirrors%2fsources.redhat.com%2
fcygwin :). So, at least it'd be useful to have some kind of docs to tell us
what and why things goes where, so we could "prune & clean" the tree
manually, at least (now I'm afraid of deleting old packages, should
something break). And I no longer can burn a single dir to a CD and take it
with me with the confidence I'll be able to install cygwin on an
Inernet -less PC (previously, I knew I only needed "contrib and latest"...
Now I'm not too sure about what to do.

Thanks a lot

    Javier

--
----

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/