Subject: perl-5.8.0-RC2 (second Perl release candidate) for Cygwin is available
From: "Gerrit P. Haase" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 18:16:56 +0200

2002-06-23

The first Cygwin release of the second perl-5.8 release candidate is
available for testing.

==
Fetch the Cygwin version here:
http://koeln.convey.de/cywgin/perl/

Or point setup.exe to http://koeln.convey.de/cywgin

==
I linked this version against Berkeley DB 4.0.14, you want to rebuild
Perl from source yourself if you want it without DB4, with DB3 instead
of DB4, or you need to install DB 4 too:
http://koeln.convey.de/cywgin/db/

Or point setup.exe to http://koeln.convey.de/cywgin

(Should work with an existing DB 4 installation too)

REALLY IMPORTANT:
=================
DB4 is not yet available as Cygwin package but this is the version
that will be released in a few days, so this is also a release
candidate just like Perl.  This new DB4 package is split up in three
packages, db which includes just docu, libdb4.0 which includes the
dll's and the executables and libdb4.0-devel which includes the
importlibs and headers.

==
Please take some minutes to read the Perl RC2 announcement
http://koeln.convey.de/cywgin/perl/perl-5.8.0-RC2.html
while you fetch the binary or source or all tarballs.

Perl-5.8.0-RC2:
http://koeln.convey.de/cywgin/perl/perl-5.8.0-RC2-1-src.tar.bz2
http://koeln.convey.de/cywgin/perl/perl-5.8.0-RC2-1.tar.bz2

DB-4.0.14:
http://koeln.convey.de/cywgin/db/db-4.0.14-4-src.tar.bz2
http://koeln.convey.de/cywgin/db/libdb4/libdb4.0-4.0.14-4.tar.bz2
http://koeln.convey.de/cywgin/db/libdb4-devel/libdb4.0-devel-4.0.14-4.tar.bz2

Or point setup.exe to http://koeln.convey.de/cywgin

NOTE:
=====
The server in Cologne has only limited bandwidth (144kbit), so if
someone is able to fetch the tarballs and can provide a mirror
please do so and tell us about the URL in reply to this mail,
others please watch out for replies with mirror offerings and please
make use of them if there are some, thanks;)
=====

The Cygwin Perl source package contains the original source tarball:

The size of the original source file is 10913451 bytes and the MD5
checksum for the file is

        8921b99874bf4b1daba7daba3ff70e4a  perl-5.8.0-RC2.tgz

==
If you want to build from source and have already downloaded
the original tarball you may fetch just my build scripts
(see URL in the RC2 Announcement to fetch original Perl, link above):

My scripts:
===========
http://koeln.convey.de/cywgin/perl/perl-5.8.0-RC2-scripts.tgz

Use my scripts:
===============
 - unpack it in an empty directory together with the RC2 tarball
 - call ./build.sh to ./Configure, make and install perl-5.8.0-RC2
 - modify the script if you don't want to install it or if you want
   other flags or: look into the script and execute the various
   commands manually
 - the makepkg.sh script is for making dist tarballs, please note
   that this will also install Perl into the final location and will
   clobber your existing perl.exe et. al.
==

Please test extensively.

Your help in testing the upcoming perl 5.8.0 is much appreciated.

==
The Cygwin Perl RC2 source tarball contains also my buildlogs.
`make test' passes all tests without failure: All tests successful.

There are two tests failing for me today in the perl harness run...
alarm.t fails randomly, openpid.t is failing cause I don't know...
Failed 2/708 test scripts, 99.72% okay. 2/64979 subtests failed, 100.00% okay.
Failed Test  Stat Wstat Total Fail  Failed  List of Failed
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
io/openpid.t               10    1  10.00%  8
op/alarm.t                  4    1  25.00%  2

It should be possible to get harness test runs without failings.
==

And:
====
THIS IS A REAL NEW PERL RELEASE THAT IS BINARY INCOMPATIBLE WITH ANY
PREVIOUS PERL RELEASE.  THIS MEANS THAT YOUR OLD EXTENSIONS (.xs code,
those Perl modules requiring a C compiler) WILL NOT WORK AND WILL HAVE
TO BE RECOMPILED.  (Pure Perl modules should continue working.)

INSTALLING THIS PERL RELEASE WILL OVERWRITE YOUR CURRENT PERL RELEASE.
(For example, /usr/bin/perl will become Perl 5.8.0.)

DO NOT INSTALL THIS INTO PRODUCTION USE UNLESS YOU REALLY MEAN IT.
====

I got also this note during Storable compilation which may be of
additional interest:

You appear to have a perl configured to use 64 bit integers in its
scalar variables.  If you have existing data written with an earlier
version of Storable which this version of Storable refuses to load
with a

   Byte order is not compatible

error, then please read the section "64 bit data in perl 5.6.0 and
5.6.1" in the Storable documentation for instructions on how to read
your data.

(You can find the documentation at the end of Storable.pm in POD
format)

$ perl -V
Summary of my perl5 (revision 5.0 version 8 subversion 0) configuration:
  Platform:
    osname=cygwin, osvers=1.3.11(0.5332), archname=cygwin-multi-64int
    uname='cygwin_nt-4.0 loreley 1.3.11(0.5332) 2002-06-19 21:00 i686 unknown '
    config_args='-de -Dmksymlinks -Dusemultiplicity -Duse64bitint -Doptimize=-O2'
    hint=recommended, useposix=true, d_sigaction=define
    usethreads=undef use5005threads=undef useithreads=undef usemultiplicity=define
    useperlio=define d_sfio=undef uselargefiles=define usesocks=undef
    use64bitint=define use64bitall=undef uselongdouble=undef
    usemymalloc=y, bincompat5005=undef
  Compiler:
    cc='gcc', ccflags ='-DPERL_USE_SAFE_PUTENV -fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/local/include',
    optimize='-O2',
    cppflags='-DPERL_USE_SAFE_PUTENV -fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/local/include'
    ccversion='', gccversion='2.95.3-5 (cygwin special)', gccosandvers=''
    intsize=4, longsize=4, ptrsize=4, doublesize=8, byteorder=12345678
    d_longlong=define, longlongsize=8, d_longdbl=define, longdblsize=12
    ivtype='long long', ivsize=8, nvtype='double', nvsize=8, Off_t='off_t', lseeksize=4
    alignbytes=8, prototype=define
  Linker and Libraries:
    ld='ld2', ldflags =' -L/usr/local/lib'
    libpth=/usr/local/lib /usr/lib /lib
    libs=-lgdbm -ldb -lcrypt -lutil
    perllibs=-lcrypt -lutil
    libc=/usr/lib/libc.a, so=dll, useshrplib=true, libperl=libperl.a
    gnulibc_version=''
  Dynamic Linking:
    dlsrc=dl_dlopen.xs, dlext=dll, d_dlsymun=undef, ccdlflags=' '
    cccdlflags=' ', lddlflags=' -L/usr/local/lib'

Characteristics of this binary (from libperl): 
  Compile-time options: MULTIPLICITY USE_64_BIT_INT USE_LARGE_FILES PERL_IMPLICIT_CONTEXT
  Built under cygwin
  Compiled at Jun 23 2002 00:14:06
  %ENV:
    CYGWIN="ntsec binmode tty nowinsymlinks"
  @INC:
    /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/cygwin-multi-64int
    /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/cygwin-multi-64int
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl
    .

Have fun!

Gerrit
-- 
=^..^=

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/