Subject: Re: Security Issues ?
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 11:29:14 -0400

On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 10:58:36AM -0400, Holland, Cristi L wrote:
>I evaluate products to become standards within our company (United Space
>Alliance).  I would like to know a few things about your product release:
>
>New Cygwin DLL 1.3.10 release
><http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2002/msg00063.html>

It's not a product, it's a project.  Red Hat sells a product, however.  You
can get support with the product, too.

>Are there any known security issues with this application?

I'm sure there are all sorts of problems, yes:

http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_4.html#SEC80

>Is this tool mainly used to migrate UNIX applications to a Windows
>environment using UNIX type shell?

The basic reason for Cygwin was to provide a method for Red Hat to build
and distribute GNU compilers and the GNU debugger on Windows.  I'd guess
that the most popular reason for using it is to get the same free stuff
on Windows that you can on Linux.

cgf

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/