Subject: Re: something strange with devices
From: "John Vincent" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 13:59:18 +0000

Hi,

Thanks very much for the list, it looks pretty complete to
me.

There's a strange thing going on though. I saved the list
to "device_names.txt" and then ran

     ls -l `cat device_names.txt`

The ls program successfuly found all the file names on the
list. However, some of them didn't seem to show up as devices,
only as files. When I did

      ls -l `cat device_names.txt` | grep -v ,

to grep removed all lines containing a "," I got the following
output

-rwxr-xr-x    1 Administ None            0 Jan  1  1970 /dev/dgsocket
-rwxr-xr-x    1 Administ None            0 Jan  1  1970 /dev/streamsocket
-rwxr-xr-x    1 Administ None            0 Jan  1  1970 /dev/tcp
-rwxr-xr-x    1 Administ None            0 Jan  1  1970 /dev/udp

Which seems to show that these "devices" exist, but they're not
devices, just zero size files!

Any idea what's going on with this ??

Thanks,
/John Vincent.

_________________________________________________________________
MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: 
http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/