Subject: Re: FW: Building a MinGW build of aspell without much luck :(
From: Rob Wheatley <[email-masked]>
To: purpledinosaur <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 11:38:15 -0600

purpledinosaur wrote:
> Hi all, I'm new to cygwin and mingw, and UNIX style development in
> general hence I would really appreciate some help here. I'm trying to
> build the aspell (http://aspell.sourceforge.net) win32 binary using the
> mingw compiler in the cygwin environment but am getting some linker
> problems.

I got aspell to compile with some work.  I have separate mingw and 
cygwin installations on my computer.  It has been a while, but I believe 
I set up my paths so that I was using the mingw gcc compiler, but the 
remaining tools (make, etc) were from the cygwin bin directory.  The 
link errors you are getting are from aspell trying to use posix 
functions, which suggests you are compiling a cygwin version instead of 
a mingw version of aspell.

My notes (hopefully up to date) are as follows.  You will have to change 
the prefix and bindir to suit your system.

CLEAN EVERYTHING
make distclean

NO DEBUG
CXXFLAGS="-O2" ; export CXXFLAGS
make -e

TO COMPILE A CYGWIN VERSION
PSPELL
./configure --disable-shared --disable-ltdl --disable-curses 
--enable-win32-relocatable --prefix=/cygspell --bindir=/cygspell

ASPELL
./configure --disable-shared --enable-win32-relocatable --disable-curses 
--prefix=/cygspell --bindir=/cygspell

TO COMPILE A MINGW VERSION
PSPELL
./configure --disable-shared --disable-ltdl --disable-curses 
--enable-win32-relocatable --prefix=/mev2/spell --bindir=/mev2/spell
make
make install

ASPELL
./configure --disable-shared --enable-win32-relocatable --disable-curses 
--prefix=/mev2/spell --bindir=/mev2/spell
make
make install

Although not is my notes, there is also the following step.
The pspell manual states that when compiling with --disable-ltdl, you 
need to manually link in the necessary modules by doing the following:

     cd modules
     ./add-modules
     cd ..
     make
     make install

Hope this helps.

Rob Wheatley

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/