Subject: Re: Slow compilation on PCNFS mounts
From: Andrew DeFaria <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 07:30:20 -0700
Newsgroups: gmane.os.cygwin

[email-masked] wrote:

> We have a source repository residing on a HP-UX server. It is 
> distributed to the linux world with NFS and to the Windows world using 
> (Hummingbird) PCNFS. When I build the software on CYGWIN (latest 
> version) it works fine, but it takes for ever!!!!! In short very slow. 
> I have never tried to do a build on local disks, so I have nothing to 
> compare with, but is there a connection with the spawning of 
> sub-processes (GCC uses a lot) and Cygwin, or is the bottleneck in 
> PCNFS? Anybody have experienced something similar?

One way to attempt to answer that question would be to make a copy of 
that source repository over onto your PC and point the build process to 
that local copy. Then time the builds with the time command. You could 
also move the copy to another PC and share it and again time building 
that. Then you would have 3 times: one for how long it takes to build 
locally (probably the quickest time), one for how long it takes to build 
remotely using PC's SMB protocol and one for how long it takes to build 
remotely using NFS protocol. If you find the later has a large time 
difference then I would strongly suspect that the problem lies either 
with the NFS protocol or Hummingbird itself (Of course, the HP-UX server 
could be a couple of hops away and that may account for the longer time 
or perhaps there's a bad router or network configuration causing 
dropping of network packets).

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/